Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Long in the Tooth, Grey in the Hair

Leading up to the rap concert that took place recently here in Terre Haute, the social question of the week was, "Are you going to the Gorilla Zoe show?"

Confused by the excitement over an anthropology show, I simply asked, "Who is this gorilla dude?"

In response, a baby-faced 21-year-old I work with said, "You don't know who he is?"

(Queue the record scratching and the surrounding audience turning their heads to stare at me in silence)

"Obviously, you don't listen to rap," he finished.

Immediately, I thought to myself about Erik B and Rakim, Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy and 7th grade when "The Chronic" came out.

As I was about to prove my rap knowledge, it hit me: the rap I grew up on was outdated and unpopular.

I was now socially old.

Suddenly, more gray hair appeared and my trick knee told me my 30th birthday was coming.

The affects of aging have caused me anxiety about 401k ads and intrigue by the new Sears' washer and dryers, but turning 30 in three months doesn't bother me like it used to.

In fact, I am looking forward to the journey and using these five advantages to being older.

1. Simple things in life start to make you happy. 
I walked around campus the other day listening to music and found myself smiling for no other reason than it was nice outside. Those small things really do start to make a difference in the pursuit of finding a life you will enjoy.

2. You shed your social circle.
Although difficult, you will eventually thin the herd of your social and support group. Once you have learned how, it will be more of a relief than a burden. As you grow outside of the classroom, you must be selfish with your time. If you constantly have friends that need you or pester you to be around, it can set you back. Hopefully the people you surround yourself with work as hard as you do.

3. Relationships become easier (kind of).
Eventually you will meet someone who wants an actual connection formed by talking about what matters to you. You will find common interests that are so small, yet build a foundation for a relationship. Honesty also becomes more important, forcing each other to avoid the "games" we play.

4. Candles (for guys), Sports (for girls)
Yeah guys, you will probably learn to appreciate candles. Ladies, if you don't like sports already, you will have probably surrendered just to spend time with your significant other and actually enjoy what you are watching.

5.You can freely irritate those younger than you.
Your age and wisdom now affords you to say, "when I was younger, we had dial-up" or "back in my day, we had to buy celebrity sex tapes on the black market."

You may also explain to everyone around you how much more you know about everything because, well, you are simply older.

Enjoy your time if you are in your 20s, but don't be afraid to get older.
I will wait for you at the shuffleboard court.

No comments:

Post a Comment