Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It was a Dictionary, not Elton John, that saved my life tonight.




My freshman year of college-I mean my first freshman year many moons ago-I purchased two books that drastically improved my life.

These two books significantly increased the quality of my homework, padded my social acumen and amplified my intelligence.

I still have these books sitting on my shelf at home as a reminder of the opportunities and prospects rendered by their services that keep impacting me in a positive manner.


Maybe you've already guessed the books to be the Bible and "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret," but you would be mistaken.

Its just two simple books: a Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus.

These books have made me a better writer, a better speaker and even a better lover… um, I meant speller.                 

Why am I rambling on about these amazing works of reference?

Because I don't think anyone in the social atmosphere of 18-25 knows what either one looks like or how they are used.

In my quest to understand the social groups of the college nightlife, I am irked and embarrassed by my generation's inarticulate vernacular and flaccid vocabulary.
How you speak can elicit many judgments and hamper you socially and vocationally.

Opportunity knocking at your door can quickly turn away due to "like," "fittin'" and "y'all" and it will not hesitate to bolt after the use of simple, uneducated language makes a case for Best Supporting Actor in a rejected role.

We all have a social discourse that we follow with a certain degree of regiment.
When we are with friends, we are not out to impress one another, and talking to family or co-workers evokes that same attitude.

However, a prospective relationship can hinge on the first impression made by how you speak. Speaking in unnecessary slang, using dull, simple language and filling dialogue with fragments only hurts you.

A relationship's success is not based solely on grammar and usage, but it might be nice if that was the case.

Speaking with higher level of intelligence can greatly advance you in the workforce. Talking with a lazy attitude void of any substance immediately pulls you one step back in the effort you are making to move ahead.

You are doing yourself an injustice by not enlisting your learned skills of language and applying them to create a positive reputation.

Words slowly creep up from our guts and into our spines until one day they burrow into our minds where they fester and process.

One day, without warning-"Bow Wow" (my first words)-we start talking and don't stop till we die.

For something that plays such a significant role in the foundation of your personality and communication skills, I hope that you would want to continue to evolve and mature in order to properly present the knowledge you've obtained.

I am not saying that someone who always speaks in a cultural slang or social vernacular is dumb or incapable of succeeding.

I am simply saying that I may not give that person a second chance to prove me wrong and I wouldn't be the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment